20080523

coming clean

they say the first step to dealing with addiction is admitting it, so i'll just be open about it: i'm addicted to black. nearly everyone i know is aware of it. they point it out and tell me i ought to make a change, and i really intend to every time, but then i look at my wardrobe every month or so, and the amount of black is simply overwhelming. different shades, textures, and prints, but always, always black. case in point:

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting



flagrantly flouting my academic responsibilities, i decided to go shopping in the square yesterday with my blockmate sarah. i've compiled a comprehensive list of things i need for paris, in terms of clothes and accessories, and it was my first chance to knock some items off of the list. when i bought the kill city salt and pepper jeans from hootenanny's, my companion agreed that they were very necessary. we talked each other through all of our purchases at urban outfitters, and while we were equally approving of each other's purchases (i'm so into the feather headband she bought), she noted that my shoes, headband, and sweater vest were all black, something i promised to rectify at american apparel. but the shiny black ruched tube bra that i walked out with only reaffirmed my dependency. in a last-ditch attempt to redeem myself, i bought a gold and black bracelet at oona's that reminds me of my dad's old and broken gold watch that i enjoyed wearing so much last summer, but the damage had already been done.

i really do want to step out of the realm of black (sometimes), but how can i leave it alone? it's the color of simplicity, rebellion, and timeless cocktail dresses.. a color i was initially drawn to because it felt safe, and a color i stuck with because i ended up loving it. i never really identified with people who can say that something is "their" color, only because i never realized that mine had been with me all along. neons are now and florals are fresh, but at the end of the day (and the season), i'll be pretty in black.



in other news, jess has a new blog! her first post seems to be almost written for me, considering how i'm going crazy over getting ready for my upcoming trip, and it's worth a read. be sure to give it a looksee.

9 comments:

alloftheabove said...

its okay.. i have the same problem. haha but as summer approaches ive been branching out. but definitely in the winter and colder days, black is the way i go. haha i dont know whyy

jessica said...

ahhhh! hahaha! of course i had in mind when writing it! i had in mind making the whole blog i n general! lovee you fool!

alloftheabove said...

Ooh. I just purchased that black lame bra and its amazing!

Anonymous said...

ah you must be a new yorker at heart i have the same problem but im trying to wear more colors for the summer

Shes Dressing Up said...

It's certainly true that textures and little details become so much more important on black items of clothing!

Fashion Is Poison said...

you know...i was hooked on black last FW and my bf hated it. i think you just have to add some color (scarf, bag, shirt) and then ease yourself into more color :)

Anonymous said...

Hey! I found this blog from the Style Bubble.
I really like your taste... hope to see more stuff.

~Premauflage

EvaAmarri said...

I too am addicted to black. People ask me how can you wear black in such a hot country (Barbados). Lol. I just try to incorporate colour in some things. Like my shoes, bag or accessories

heartu,kisses said...

Ooo love the acid wash! and thanks for your comments on the minnetonkas and yes they are 5 million times cuter than uggs, i would never wear those. no offense if you have some. Love the blog, would you like to trade links?